The Friends of Great Hosmer Pond is a membership advocacy organization whose activities are open to all who share the organization’s mission and goals.
The Friends of Great Hosmer Pond, Paddle and Pot Luck Picnic, 4:00 - 7:00 Sunday August 27, 2017
Where: Hosmer Point Camp, Sunday August 27, 4:00 - 7:00 PM
- Come swim and bring your paddling or rowing craft
- Members of the Friends' organizing committee will be there to help explain what’s known to date about the Great Hosmer Use of Public Water Rule-making and answer questions, but the emphasis is on having fun and enjoying Great Hosmer
- There will salads and some grill items provided. Bring additional food and beverages to share if you so desire. A grill will be available.
- Please RSVP at: firstname.lastname@example.org by August 23rd and Thanks!
- To protect Great Hosmer Pond’s water quality, fishing resources, ecological integrity and special characteristics including its scenic beauty and undisturbed shoreline.
- To protect Great Hosmer Pond’s important role in the local economy as home to the Craftsbury Outdoor Center and Hosmer Point Camp and as a place where all pond users can safely undertake activities that will improve their health and wellbeing.
1) Participate fully in any Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation and/or Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles public rule-making processes that affect GHP with the following intent:
Preserve unrestricted non-motorized uses of the pond and vigorously oppose proposed rules to limit non-motorized uses
Support enforcement of existing boat safety regulations
Support the collection of accurate and objective data on pond use
2) Advocate for improved understanding & enforcement of existing safety laws:
Assist the Vermont Department of Public Safety in educating Pond users about the 5 mph 200-foot-shoreline safety zone and what it means for the legal use of motorized watercraft on GHP
Facilitate communication between the Vermont Public Safety and Fish and Wildlife Department staff in order to coordinate consistent law enforcement
Raise funds if necessary to pay for increased law enforcement on GHP
Coordinate volunteers to help with Eurasian Milfoil control and ongoing environmental monitoring
Celebrate the ecology and history of GHP with an annual membership gathering and ongoing public education
Work with Craftsbury Outdoor Center and others to schedule activities aimed at encouraging community engagement with sustainable and healthy activities on GHP including paddling, rowing, swimming, summer and winter fishing, nordic skiing, and overall enjoyment of the pond’s beauty and resources.
- Maintain and protect water quality
- Preserve Great Hosmer Pond’s unique habitat
- Manage invasive species
- Support Craftsbury Outdoor Center and Hosmer Point Camp as valued local economic, recreational, environmental, and cultural resources
- Promote the Town of Craftsbury as a vibrant community and local economy
- Expand area youth and adult enjoyment of Great Hosmer Pond
- Provide forum for those near and far who enjoy Great Hosmer Pond
Safe Shared Pond Use
- Encourage respectful communication among users and seek to resolve user conflicts
- Promote safe and legal operation of motorized watercraft